Saturday, January 26, 2008

After A Crazy Daze We Made It!

BEWARE! Very Long Travel Log!
We were all such a bright sight in our "Banana Suits". Dressed in yellow we couldn't get lost as easily. Of course Kallyn just thought that we wore the banana suits because of her favorite "Curious George" movie.
For sure my idea worked because I did not see a single yellow dressed person in any of the airports we were in. I saw lots of pink dressed little blond girls. So our silliness was worth my security!
We started off later than we wanted to, but by running to the gate (thankyou Michelle SOOOOOOOOOOO much for letting us borrow your stroller!) we made it in time to see the departing flights screen blink "DELAYED" for our flight. Phew! I recollected myself and started to play with the girls. We found the Fisher Price "Gate of Fun" just down the terminal and we had 15 minutes to get all our wiggles out on all the fun toys they had to play with!
We boarded without any problems and got situated with all our stuff (1 backpack stuffed full of activities for the long flight, 1 backpack for food and snacks, 1 lunch cooler with fresh fruit, and 1 carry-on suitcase for activities for the long layover in Newark) I over packed, I know, but I was terrified of flying by myself! Kallyn was so worried about being safe. She climbed up into her seat right away and put her seat belt on and told me she was going to hold onto the armrest extra tight just in case. Bug sat on my lap and was rather restless to begin with. But she was very frightened during the takeoff. I tried to calm her down, but the small plane we were on made it seem very bumpy and she wanted me to hold tight the entire time. She was very glad to get off the plane. Kallyn however was very excited to look out the window and see the houses and cars get smaller and smaller. And she especially loved the bumpy landing. It was the hardest landing I've ever experienced.



We had quite a busy layover in Newark. We had 2 soiled diapers and one pull-up change in the bathroom as soon as we got off the first plane. By the way, it was so much easier to have Kallyn in a pull-up instead of hiking back to the bathroom and trying to juggle both girls while attempting to fit in the teeny tiny lavatory. Our plane deboarded at the end of one terminal and we had to walk back to the beginning and over to the next terminal where our next flight was baording all the way at the end and around to the otherside of the food court. Phew! What a walk! Then when we got settled in the wiating area of an empty gate we brought out the suitcase of activities. I taped off an area that the girls had to stay in and we played. We ran in circles and jumped and got out all our wiggles!



Kallyn had some "Lippy" (lipgloss) in her treat bag and we had a great time playing "Super Glamour Glossy Sparkly Makeover" party. The cheap lipgloss found at Target actually distracted the girls many times throughout the long flight.



I called my Grandma just before we boarded to tell her that I was going to be out of the house all day on our birthday and I didn't think that I'de be able to call her and wish her Happy Birthday. But I was sending her Birthday gift to my Mom and Dad's place so she had better watch for it there. Me siblings did a great job keeping the surprize a secret! Little did she know what the birthday gift was!



Allison had a very hard time with the next plane. She started freaking out as soon as we went through the gate. She did NOT want to get on to another plane! She screamed all the way to our seats in the very back. Thankfully we were the ONLY passengers in the last quarter of the plane! So she didn't bother too many people. She burried her face in her blanket as she followed Kallyn and the flight attendant back to our seats. Everyone was looking at her and she did not like it. When we finally got settled she wanted nother to do with me and I had to force her into sitting in the seat with a lap belt to keep her there. She totally freaked out during takeoff, but when the shaking stopped she closed her eyes and was OUT! She slept for about 30 minutes in an upright sitting position. Poor thing! But everytime I tried to move her she started crying again.
Kallyn enjoyed the quiet time!

And she eventually fell asleep, too.

Some of our activities included:
Paint with water books with Q-tips
Playdough
pipe cleaners and ponybeads
view finder
making fairy princess wands
Watching movies on the laptop (pain to carry around by myself, but it saved me the last hour!)
Stickers
Magnetic activity pads
tattoos
bubbles
"Don't Eat Pete!" toddler game
stick-it notes
audio books
Color pillows with markers (you can see it in the pic below on Bugs lap)
Foamie Puppets
Glowsticks


Yup, we stayed busy! And I kept my sanity. Since we were the only ones in the back of the plane by the bathroom I could let Kallyn go by herself and still be able to check in on her and watch Bug at the same time! Oh I hope the flight home will be empty, too! I was so relieved to see grandma and grandpa! I couldn't get my stuff fast enough I was so tired and I just wanted to see the look on my grandma's face!

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Empty flights really are the best! Love the banana outfit idea!

Michelle said...

Yeah, I'm glad you guys made it! I prayed for you :-)

Anonymous said...

I have a picture of my sister and I JUST like that, around the same age, of her putting lip gloss on me! It's classic, and I love it! Too cute!! :)

*Phara

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you could come down and see us i had a great time and hope you can come again or we can come up there soon!!! "Love ya"
Your sister,
Marisa