Sunday, July 13, 2008

Things I've noticed in Cork

As I've walked around the city, I've seen so interesting things:

I've not tased them, but the flavors seem like they could be big winners in America! Instead of a dollar store, this was in a "Everything Under 2 Euro Store"
Check out the wigs! This is inside the Cort District Court. The wigs are status symbols, the more nappy and tattered, the more experience the solicitor or barrister has. Some young ones even blow smoke through their wigs to make them look dingier so that they will get more clients. Also, it's custom to never replace the wig, regardless of how dirty it gets.
The judge sits up there under the canopy. The clerks call these courtrooms the "Gilbert and Sullivan Show"
Check out the windows, they get progressivly shorter with each floor up. It's to make the building appear taller than it really is. Also, I guess there used to be a window tax based upon the size of your windows. This was a way to get around paying more taxes and beat the MAN!

I just liked the name, it made me think about home





These two girls walked up to me as I was taking a picture and asked if I'd photograph them and send it to them in the mail. They were pretty drunk and slurred out an address expecting me to remember it. Well, here it is for the world to see, so technically, if they have internet, I kept my promise of sending it to them.


The name says it all, HillBilly's Chicken. It just has a nice ring to it. I'm hoping that this is not the Irish perception of real American food. A local in my school class said this was the best place to eat after drinking at night.




Idaho is apparently known all over the world. All the circle plates next to the door are awards this place has won. Maybe Idaho is good for something after all! Just kidding Nate.


I'm not sure if this place is affiliated with Victoria Secrets, but I can imagine they sell similar products.

No comments: